The little 12th Century church of ther SS. Trinità di Delia is, according to John Julius Norwich "the perfect fusion of Arab and Byzantine. [Link to the church on Google Maps]
- Cefalù Cathedral
"Though much of the inside is now distressingly baroque, the outside is exquisite and the great apse mosaic the most sublime masterpiece Sicily has to offer."
- Forza d'Agrò
The Basilian church SS. Pietro e Paolo is situated a few kilometres outside Forza d'Agrò. The inscription over the west door dates it to 1171-72. The church was built in the 560, then it was destroyed by the Arabs and it was rebuilt in the 1117. The church was restored by the architect Gherardo il Franco in the 1172 because of an earthquake.
Cathedral and cloister
Castellaccio (12th Century) on the summit of Monte Caputo
The Palatine Chapel (In the Royal Palace, also known as the Norman Palace)
Sala di Ruggero (In the Royal Palace)
S. Maria dell' Ammariglio (the Martorana)
S. Giovanni degli Eremiti
S. Spirito (the church known for the Sicilian Vespers in 1282)
The Royal tombs of Roger II, Henry VI, Constance and Frederick II (in the Palermo Cathedral / Duomo)
Return to Wondersofsicily.net (the blog)
Wondersofsicily.com (the web site)